Tonewood grains per inch

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:39:34 +0100

>  This just in.  The latest issue of The Catgut Acoustical Society Journal
>  reports that according to researchers at the University of Padova in Italy,
>  and here I quote from their abstract, 'No evidence was found of a
> relationship
>  between physical and acoustical properties (density, modulus of elasticity,
>  index of merit) and external aspects of Italian red spruce (mainly growth
> ring distance).'

Well, I dunno about the rest of you, but this doesnt seem like anything new in
itself. The strict (read "precise") definitions for the physical and acoustical
properties of wood have not been shown to be related to growth ring distance.

Would be interesting to see just how they set up the experiment and how they
came to the conclusion they did.

> According to many studies (see Reference 1 at end of post - PF), frequency
> response and acoustic efficiency .. are mostly influenced by the following
> parameters:
>
> 1.  Density
> 2.  Modulii of elasticity El and Er.'
>
> El is longitudinal modulus of elasticity
> Er is radial modulus of elasticity

Also interesting to note the value placed on the longitudinal modulus of
elasticity for wood.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.