Nasty Baldwin treble

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:41:09 -0600

Hi Gordon,
                   The metal pieces are called treble resonators, and are
made of case hardened steel.   It will be highly unlikely that they have
grooves in them causing the normal capo noise problem.

This sound is symptomatic of the hammers getting too hard, or the hammers
having grooved string marks.

Reshape hammers, listen.  If more is needed. Needle the shoulders. Two or
three insertions with triple needles is usually enough.   If more is
needed, you are probably dealing with keytop type hardener.  Two solutions.
1. Needle about 1-1.5mm directly into the crown. 2. Acetone flush.  Drench
hammers in acetone, wait 10-15mins to allow the acetone to get the hardener
plastic. Drench hammers again on the crown until the acetone is running out
at the bottom of the molding. Do not play the piano for at least 4hrs.
You will use quite a bit of acetone. 1/2 pint is not uncommon.  So it's not
for the faint hearted.

The acetone flush gives the better results, and I prefer to leave the piano
over night before playing any notes.  If this approach scares you, get the
assistance of an experienced voicer.

For Ric.  Intoner.

Hope this helps.  But I do have a lot of experience with these pianos.

regards Roger