I wish they'd get it right!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:45:36 -0600

>Ron,
>      I have used welding rod to custom make the pins. Works very good.
>
>Tommy Black

Hi Tommy,
Yes, I expect it does. A bit time consuming though, and you have to finish
the ends. I'm lazier than that, and don't like filing bridge pin tops. The
reason I asked Joe about the diameter of his take-outs, was that I was
wondering what the diameter that Schaff was supposed to get right compares
to. In the shop, in some old bridges I kept as examples, I find pins of:

0.0775  Mason & Hamlin
#6 = 0.076
0.079           Kimball
#7 = 0.086
0.086           Kimball
0.0865  Mason & Hamlin
0.089           Chickering (I think)
0.092           Knabe
#8 = 0.096
0.107           Knabe
0.108           Mason & Hamlin
#9 = 0.109
0.1245  Mason & Hamlin
0.1345  Knabe
#10 = 0.135

The originals are all over the place, and this is just a very small
sampling. If we got to recap everything we string, it wouldn't matter a
bit. But if we have to re-notch and re-pin an existing cap, it gets more
complicated. Was that 3/32" rod you used?

Ron N