S&S D Duplex

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:40:58 -0500

Hi Mike et al.,

Thanks for the feedback.

I removed the muting from tenor section and... WHOA!...  It didn't sound all
that much different.  <grin>  If anything, I might have squeezed just a bit
more power and sustain out of that section, but the difference hardly seems
noticeable.  I couldn't tell much difference in the tone.

I'm wondering if the relative lack of sound contribution from the duplex
scale in my piano has something to do with the lack of tuning.  (I would
think the tuning of the duplex would have to be pretty close to some
harmonic in order for the strings to become excited by the vibrations in the
speaking lengths.)  Reblitz says that most piano manufacturers recommend the
duplex not be perfectly tuned, so that the higher harmonics will not be too
harsh.  (Perhaps they say this because they don't want to tune the
duplex???)  I get the impression from you folks that the duplex really
*should* be tuned.  Does this mean *exactly*, within a certain cent range,
or systematically off by so many cents?

This begs the question of how one does tune the duplex scale.  A wire will
hold its place around a hitch pin from the friction, provided the tension
differential is not too great.  How about slippage through the bridge pins?
I noticed when repositioning an improperly installed wire over the aliquot
plate (requiring me to loosen the string) that the duplex was way out of
tune.  In order to retune it, I had to overtension the wire by about 1/2
step to get enough slippage through the bridge pins and then release tension
from there.  Are small differences in tension on either side of the bridge
stable?  Or would vibration in the string have eventually caused the string
to slip, the duplex segment to increase in tension, and the main speaking
length to go flat?

Of course the only way to make major adjustments in the tuning of the duplex
would be to shift the aliquot plates. Do they slide?  How does one go about
bumping/sliding them?  Does one give a tap in one spot, move over, tap
again, move over, tap again, etc., etc.?  Can they be fractured in the
process?

Does one release string tension first?  If so, I presume it is necessary
first to calculate an adjustment in aliquot plate position, rather than
moving it until it "tunes up."  If nothing else, loosening the tuning pins
results in a tension differential on either side of the bridge.

Regarding my duplex segments that are tuned to sevenths, I don't think there
is enough adjustment room to bring them up to even octaves.  I think they
were designed to sound at sevenths.  Again, I think these duplex segments
were designed to be excited by the *adjacent* unisons.  (Surely this is
possible, since the sounding of one note causes many strings to ring
sympathetically throughout the entire piano.)

I don't think I would need to do much adjusting.  The duplex segments are
very roughly (+/- 15 cents) in tune with *some* note, for the most part.  I
can see where the end of one plate might be moved a mm or two towards the
bridge to bring those duplex segments up to pitch.

If this is a worthwhile endeavor (especially considering that I will also be
restringing the tenor and treble with more correct wire sizes than the .041
some previous technician seemed to love), how much in-tune or out-of-tune
should the duplex be?  When I pull up the new strings, I presume I should
overtension slightly (about 1 half step??) to bring the duplex up to pitch
and then release tension.  Correct?  I would think that if I didn't do this,
the bridge would end up with a considerable lateral force on it in the
direction of the pin block.  Correct???  And yes... I will be working a
couple of unisons at a time... but I still want to be cautious.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah