Steinway defect

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:50:24 EST

  a 1997 Steinway "L"  The
>lower three tuning pins will not hold tension.
> I removed one of the pins and inspected the
>hole. It shows no cracks or signs of contamination but it does show signs
that
>the pin is not making full contact with the hole.
> In addition the hole in the block and plate do not line up. The back of
>the hole in the block is actually under the lip of the plate hole.
>1. My gut feeling is that the block was not fitted up properly in the
> factory and the hole has opened up because of the pressure on the pin by
>the plate. Does this seem correct or am I missing something?

   Greetings,
   I would suspect that the holes were drilled too close to the webbing and
the factory stringer just hammered them in.  It would be difficult for the
block to move enough to make this problem, especially this close to its
anchoring at the bass case shelf.
   You will need to check for warranty coverage with the dealer, but I have
had to fix this same problem in New Steinways by drilling a 3/8" hole through
the pinblock and plugging with Falconwood plugs. Drill them with a handdrill
and a .272 bit, repin with a 2/0 X 2 1/2" pin and you should be fine.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT