S&S D Duplex

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:48:52 -0600

List Members:
The piano is a 70's S&S D, teflon throughout, with string braid run through
the duplex scales behind the bridge, in front of the alequates up into the
sixth octave.  I pulled one piece out from the high end as the customer
played the piano.  His immediate response was how much cleaner and more
powerful the fifth and sixth octave sounded.  He did not want the rest of
the braid removed "until I get use to the new sound."  He states that the
string braid has been in the piano since he purchased it.  It was sold to
him as new. It's been 2 years since that time.  Now he wants new hammers,
etc.  I intend to remove the braid and voice the new hammers accordingly.
Can anyone explain why the duplexes were muted; am I heading for more
trouble than I care to deal with?  Any suggestions/comments will be
appreciated.

Paul Chick