Sitka EMC

Yardarm103669107@aol.com Yardarm103669107@aol.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:52:55 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2002 5:56:27 AM Central Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Sailboat spars come in a variety of designs, and many had lengths that were
> scarfed together, and the cross-section of the mast was made up of several
> pieces - that's how they made some masts hollow.

Terry:
I've spent too much time dealing with the old lake schooner builders--big
boats with solid spars. The scarf joined masts are rare on these boats. But
they're all still cured outside, up here anyway. This is the word I get from
folks at the Maritime Society.

Paul RJ