So much for colleagues, so much for integrity, so much for ethics.......

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:07:42 EST

In a message dated 11/10/02 2:34:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
antares@euronet.nl writes:

> What is rather upsetting however is that I, to my astonishment, discovered
> that this 'translation' of my words and with - my name -attached to it,
> has
> come into 'slippery hands' and has now been sent all over the internet.
> What is even more upsetting, is to find out that my text has been screwed
> up
> completely : my personal phrasing and way of 'speech' is unrecognizable, my
> personal intentions have been altered, whole parts and phrases were left
> out
> and I find that 'my' words sound like those of an idiot with a dictionary.

(snip)

<<This story shows that every word we write on the internet can be read or
used by friendly meaning persons, but also misused by malicious creeps, as
happens all the time.
It also shows the possibility that malicious intentions executed via the
internet may surprise the original sender, as both positive and negative
intentions always act like a boomerang.>>

I think Conrad has a good saying for this, something like, "everything you
say will be misquoted and used against you".  My answer for this is to fight
fire with fire.  Because I have, there are now exemplary posts from not only
Ed Foote but Robin H. and others.

Not agreeing with someone is one thing.  Constructive criticism is also
something acceptable.  But deliberate ridicule and a virtual lifestyle made
out of daily attempts to discredit in favor of one's own agenda go far beyond
disagreement.  I've read your attempts to discredit and shun my opinions
because they don't agree with yours.  I've never disagreed with anything you
do or say but because you find what I have to say presents a conflict with
your own strongly held beliefs, you actually try to banish me altogether.  It
won't work, just like Conrad says.

I happen to agree with you that this was a very dirty trick.  I think you
should write your own parallel Dutch and English language responses to it.
If it were me, I'd use the same ignorance you saw in his writing as the
"boomerang".

Bill Bremmer RPT  (usual signature lost due to recent computer repairs)