Sitka EMC

Yardarm103669107@aol.com Yardarm103669107@aol.com
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:33:14 EST

In a message dated 11/10/2002 7:31:57 PM Central Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

> I once heard that air dried sail boat mast rarely snapped but kiln dried
> ones did so more often. Sailors any truth to that story???

Dale, I can't resist. As far as I know, masts were never kiln-dried, but laid
up in length for many years at a time. Perhaps someone experimented, but this
would also have required either laminated spars or very large kilns. The OBA
(Old Boat Association) here in Chicago has records going back to the late
1800's on spar making if you ever want more info. Of course, these days, it
doesn't matter how long you dry carbon fiber! :)

Paul R-J