Chickering 1/4 Grand Action Rebuild

Sat, 9 Nov 2002 19:44:46 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: November 09, 2002 9:49 AM
  Subject: Re: Chickering 1/4 Grand Action Rebuild

  Hi Robin. Thanks for responding. I sent this private as the list =
appears to have only negative thoughts about this action. My comments =
are interspersed below:

  Terry Farrell
   =20
Terry,
I tend to agree with Robin on these pianos. Yes, they are challenging, =
but they are usually so loved by their owners it is worth struggling =
through with them. I've not yet encountered a Quartergrand owner that =
didn't just love his/her piano!

The action is the only real problem and that is workable with some =
ingenuity and trial and fit. Joe is also right--fitting a new keyset and =
action stack is an exercise in frustration. So, don't bother trying to =
do it. Work with the action configuration that is there. If the wood =
brackets are coming apart, put them back together. In one case I soaked =
a set of these brackets (actually for a piano other than a Chickering) =
in a bath of coating epoxy for a few minutes until they were pretty well =
saturated, removed them and hung them up to let all of the excess drain =
off. Before the epoxy kicked over I inserted well-waxed screws in the =
various holes--to thread them--and let the whole mess cure. After =
sanding and filing off all of the excess hardened epoxy I had quite a =
nice looking and functioning set of brackets. They were/are probably =
about a strong and stable as most Select Metal modern brackets. The =
process worked well enough I'll be doing it again to my Decker action =
brackets.

Rather than fussing with the originals, you might consider making new =
action rails (without the brass inserts) and setting them up for some =
suitable (i.e., modern =3D wooden) hammershank flanges and wippen =
flanges. By getting a little creative with these actions there is almost =
nothing you can't do.=20

When you're finished you'll have a really happy customer. As I've said =
before, the owners of these pianos tend to really love them. And they =
will love you for bringing their babies back to life after everyone else =
has written them off.

Del

PS: Yes, their bellywork can also be challenging, but still it's mostly =
just good, creative woodworking. Don't be afraid of them just because =
they're different. That's why God gave you a brain. The individual =
pinblock pieces can be fitted to the plate in pretty much the normal =
fashion. And, if you don't want to struggle with installing the pinblock =
bolts from the bottom--again, it's difficult, not impossible--it doesn't =
take all that much to drill and countersink and install them from the =
top per more normal practice.  --ddf