Bridge Notching Trouble ('knife' - spelling)

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:40:03 +1100

At 8:09 PM -0500 8/11/02, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>     Stray thought. Why does the word knife have a K on the front of
>it any way.
>            Dale Erwin

Hi Dale,

Because the word comes from the Old English 'cnif' (earliest known
usage was during the 11th century). As with modern Italian, in Old
English every letter was pronounced. English language speakers have
become lazier, dropping the initial letter of certain letter
combinations that are difficult to sound together when speaking but
retaining them in the written word.

At the same time as the word appeared in Old English, it also
occurred in Middle Low German (knif), Old Norse (knif), Dutch (knijf)
and Danish (kniv). As these languages all stem from the same
Indo-European family of languages, our modern word 'knife' could have
come from any of them.

(just to absolve myself from being credited with any real knowledge
in this area, this contribution to the list comes compliments of my
wife Kristie, who's area of specialty is linguistics and myths and
legends)

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY