recommendations for new hammers?

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:26:27 -0800

I do plan to give the piano a fairly complete regulation at some point in
the near future.  I think it'd probably be a good idea to do it wiht the
new hammers, because the old ones are worn down so far that I think I'd
need to make some serious compromises in order to fudge things around.

----- Original message -----
From: Tvak@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:22:25 EST
Subject: Re: recommendations for new hammers?

But I was able to view the picture of your Ricca & Sons and couldn't help
but
notice how horribly the keys were leveled, or rather, not leveled.
Regulation starts with regulating the key height, and since the keys are
not
at a uniform height I know that the piano must be terribly out of
regulation.

I'm not saying that regulation is going to turn a Winter into a Steinway,
but
before you replace the hammers I would recommend regulating the piano
first.
Certainly the tone you strive for, i.e.,

<<extra brilliance when I play FF/FFF (very loud - pounding on the keys),
and
a soft, mellow tone when I play lightly (pp or so). >>

will be impossible to achieve without proper regulation, no matter what
hammers are on the piano.

Tom Sivak