Chickering 1/4 Grand Action Rebuild

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 12:49:52 -0500

Hi Robin. Thanks for responding. I sent this private as the list appears =
to have only negative thoughts about this action. My comments are =
interspersed below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Robin Hufford" <hufford1@airmail.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 4:37 AM
Subject: Re: Chickering 1/4 Grand Action Rebuild

> Terry,
>      Some may think these pianos are unworthy of  substantial effort =
at rebuilding but my experience has been exactly the contrary.  The =
unusual, but not difficult design features, perhaps, frustrate at times =
but, nevertheless, done well, the end result is a very nice sounding =
piano with a sound that is much larger in tone that what one would =
expect from such a small piano, but, with an insignificant difference in =
the high treble which some may call a deficiency but, for myself,
> is still quite musical and acceptable.   I am not sure which model =
Quarter Grand you will encounter - the 121 which is 5' 4" or so, the 133 =
which is c. 5' 7'  or, an even more rare model, the 122, again 5'4" but =
with no cheek blocks.  Nevertheless, all can be great pianos.
>      I am more familiar with the 121's as I have rebuilt a number over =
the years and have maintained the hammer angles and layout of the shanks =
and whippens consistent with the original designs, again, with good =
results.

This piano is a scale 121, built in 1907, and is 5' 7" long.

>      The Chickering brass flanged action which continued in use until =
the first decade of the previous century, along with its brass flanges =
and other characteristics was, in my opinion, an exceedingly well =
designed action and probably, more expensive to manufacture than that of =
Steinway, although, there is no doubt in my mind, that Steinway made =
their parts of a better quality of wood; the condition of  actions from =
pianos of similar ages from both companies easily demonstrates
> this.  The Chickering  action centers are stabilized at least as well =
as is achieved by Steinway's  use of the  tubular action rail, and, =
possibly more so.  Both systems developed in response to the need for =
more stability of rails as a predicate for stability of regulation, =
something which we, nowdays, take for granted but which, in the early =
and mid  part of the 19th century was a significant technical and =
production problem.  This action morphed progressively into another,
> more conventional action, from the period, roughly of 1905 to 1910, in =
several stages.
>      In the original, long used action, the brackets were of plywood, =
with brass flanges holding the action centers onto metal rails using =
metal screws.  Both whippen and hammer rails were of metal.=20

This action has plywood brackets, but I think (?????) the rails are =
wood. It does have the brass flanges.

 What is to me an intelligent design feature is evident in the angling =
of the whippens and shanks in order to square up the rotation of the =
action centers with that of the key; this is achieved by angling =
whippens and shanks so that they are more nearly parallel with the key =
itself
> which mitigates the difference in moment developed at the ends of the =
centers under rotation that occurs when they are not squared to the =
rotation of the key as happens as the flaring of the keys becomes more =
or less great - a design feature of, perhaps, arguable efficiency but, =
certainly a worthy refinement of analysis.

This action DEFINATELY has angled wippens and shanks!

>      The idea, more conventional and still in use, that the sides of =
the hammers should be squared to the strings and that the rotation of =
shanks and whippens should be at 90 degrees to the strings with the =
hammers angled to achieve this is only one alternative.  The Chickering =
or Brown, whose design it was, concept was to consider the efficiency of =
transfer of motion from key to action center to be more important works =
just as well in my experience - this said having rebuilt
> and played a number of these and, of course, many of the more =
conventional systems.
>      A progressive transformation of these actions ensued from about =
1905 or so.  This began, as far as I can tell, with a change to wooden =
flanges on the hammer rail and your piano probably has brass flanges and =
a  metal  rail for the whippens and a wooden rail with wooden flanges =
for the hammershanks.

Again, I know it has brass wippen flanges (I have replaced several) and =
I think (???) it has wooden rails and brass shank flanges - but I could =
be wrong - so many pianos.

>      It is possible to order the brass flanges although frequently =
they lack adequate grooving and this has to been enlarged by filing.  =
The wooden shanks and flanges are available.
>      It is extremely important that the weight characteristics of the =
hammers be reproduced; this means cold pressed, springy, well tapered, =
well shaped, and hence, light American hammers like those produced by =
Ronsen, Schaff or others.   The use of the big, hard, overly dense Asian =
or European supplied hammer is asking for trouble, both tonally and =
mechanically and I attribute much of the disdain encountered =
occasionally among other technicians to a poor choice of hammers,
> among other things.  Using relatively light resilient hammers similar =
to those the piano was designed for does necessitate more string lifting =
and levelling for full tonal development but the time spent in this is =
well worth the effort in results obtained and the piano, in my mind, =
cannot be fairly evaluated with substantial tone building after =
regulation.
>      Eventually, this action morphed into a more conventional action =
with metal brackets, wooden rails, squared action centers and, again,  =
more conventional hammer boring. Even though, to the eye, this form =
appears conventional it is not completely so,  at least for those =
produced up until around 1930 or so.  The keyed has the characteristic =
Chickering rail and style construction in which  no glue used in the =
railed area under the keyframe which is designed to allow the panels
> to expand and contract from left to right or right to left and and =
move along the keybed rails.  It,  apparently, was thought, and is, =
sufficiently stable that the company felt that the rails of the keyframe =
itself could be permitted full contact with the keybed, which they do.  =
They are flat and fully in contact with the keybed; glides are absent, =
unlike most other,  Steinway-style pianos.    If yours is an =
intermediary stage, it will probably have the wooden flanges up top
> and, as said before, metal below, with this kind of keybed/keyframe =
configuration.   If you have plywood brackets they can be easily =
repaired if necessary with various glues.
>      The pinblock may be a segmented, four piece block fitted into =
four separate compartaments, each with double flanges, and attached to =
the plate above with machine screws installed from the bottom side, or =
it may be the more ordinary two piece or one piece block fastened with =
wood screws from the top.

Pinblock is two piece with machine screws installed from the bottom =
side. But he is not ready for belly rebuilding at this time - the piano =
definately is ready - but his pocket book is not. His action is so bad - =
it is falling apart - I leave a half dozen shanks and flanges with him =
each time I tune his piano.

>      Again, a much part maligned design, but one which works well,   =
is the four piece/ double flanged, machine screw system.   This is not =
as hard or time-consuming to install as was made out last month on this =
same subject.  All one has to do is to remove the old segments of the =
block which come out easily and cut them in two at the offset at the =
point in the wood that represents the junction of the two flanges so =
that they can be laid back in the recess in the cast iron, one
> on top of the other.  Where this is is readily evident to the eye as =
the two flanges are offset, of course, one from the other.   There will =
then be eight panels, that is two per segment with each pair of panels =
corresponding to a segment.    Allowing for the saw kerf and,  using the =
old panels as a pattern for the new ones,  cut and plane the new ones to =
size.  Then fit each panel to its respective flange, glue them together, =
mark and drill.
>       This is easily done by fitting the deeper panel singly, then by =
extending a small guide hole drilled earlier in the plate into the lower =
panel once it is fitted.  Once these are acceptable, the pin can be kept =
in, fixing the two and the upper panel laid down onto the recess, the =
upper panel then fitted and, when acceptable, the hole then extended  =
into the upper panel.  This then allows the entire segment to be glued =
together in situ which will ensure the fitting remains.
> Believe me, as the individual panels are hardly an inch or so wide, =
and using the old ones as a guide, it is quick and easy work to fit them =
to the flanges.   Then mark and drill, in or out of the piano as one =
chooses.
>       The bridges in the treble, particularly, tend to have bad =
splitting along the  front bridge pins which, of course, should be =
addressed either by recapping or otherwise repairing but the pins need =
everywhere to be secured with epoxy or CA as preferred.
>       An aggravating problem, difficult of diagnosis is the =
possibility of a the very first, extremely short rib being loose or the =
soundboard button next to it being loose.   This is difficult to address =
directly as the key bed is in the way.  One has to work around this one =
way or another.
>       Frequently, the board will be nearly flat, - the utility of, =
need for, and designed intent of crown in this context is another =
subject -  but if the design characteristics of the instrument are =
maintained, a wonderful, expressive tone can readily be the result while =
using the old board and makes worthwhile the effort.

I haven't evaluated the board yet, but I do remember that it only had =
five ribs!

I know shanks are available - I have installed many replacements on this =
piano (come to think of it, it does have brass shank flanges because we =
always need to remove the wooden one and put the old brass one on).

Are replacement wippens available? His are really trashed.

> Regards, Robin Hufford
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Farrell wrote:
>=20
> > I have a customer with a 1906 Chickering Quarter Grand. He left a =
message saying he is ready to rebuild the action. I know these pianos =
have a lot of odd-ball characteristics - brass flanges, wippens angled =
to rail, etc. Can anyone state the very basic pitfalls of rebuilding =
these actions. I'm not asking for a full treatise here, just the ABCs of =
why the old Chickering actions are so troublesome. And, are part =
available, or does one need to rebuild the old wips, etc. Thanks.