Bridge Notching Trouble-- Terry Farrells question

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:09:34 EST

In a message dated 11/8/2002 9:46:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> >> I like the Japanese water stones but a truing block is necessary because
>> they are generally soft.
>>
> I'm fundamentally lazy. I use a Makita powered water wheel. See <A HREF="http://www.makita.com/tools_Item_View.asp?id=61">
> http://www.makita.com/tools_Item_View.asp?id=61</A>. Very fast and to a mirror
> finish.
>
> Regards,
>
> Del
>                 The makita water wheel rules. During notching I touch up
the edge as needed  by frequent polishing on the buffing wheel  which keeps
the mirror polished edge razor.
   For the side notches I use a 3" red devil, I think, putty knife. It has a
wooden handle that sandwiches the blade and allows for it to be whacked with
a hammer without splitting up the wooden handle.  My initial side cuts are
made with an exacto hobby saw which aren't that truly straight but are
cleaned up later with the putty knife.
    Stray thought. WHy does the word knife have a K on the front of it any
way.
           Dale Erwin