Bridge Notching Trouble-- Terry Farrells question

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 23:30:04 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2002 4:28:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Bridge Notching Trouble
> Date:11/4/2002 4:28:00 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

>        Terry wrote
> I'll have some bridge notching coming up in a while. I have always had some
> trouble in the past keeping the notched top edge sharp. By this I mean I
> line the chisel up in the middle of the bridge pin holes, start my downward
> stroke (I try to do a bit of a curve so that the top edge is a large angle
> - not vertical, but more vertical than horizontal), but then after going
> downward the first tiny bit (maybe one millimeter or so), I need to angle
> the chisel more toward the horizontal. At that point I find my chisel
> riding on the top bridge-pin-line edge that I just cut so nice and cleanly.
> The riding motion tends to round off the nice top edge that you want to be
> ever-so sharp. How not to do that? I can see that cutting a straight angle
> would fix that problem, but I've always thought that the steeper you can
> make the top edge, the better the termination (assuming you don't undermine
> the bridge pin). I think Fazioli puts a vertical drop on their bridges.
> Those pianos sound OK to !
> me.

          Hey Terry

>    I thought about your question again today as I was busily notching.
> Everybody has there own way of doing this and heres mine. I noticed that if
> you look really closely at a side view of a really nicely notched bridge
> there is a really nice scoop look moving down and away from the pins
> starting at the point the where the strings are bisected.
>     II have found of course really sharp chisels are  required to carve
> these notches. I'm sure that's no mystery to you. The key for me was two
> things. I use a Freud 1 inch chisel with the back slightly rounded and I
> use it upside down for the final cut. I hog out most of the wood from the
> notch with an offset Japanese dovetail chisel and then on my last cut or
> two with the Freud I bisect the pin line and with a smooth but quick motion
> push forward and down the back of handle at the same time. I found that
> moving to slow is less accurate and successful but faster requires the
> confidence to just go for it. Does that make sense?

      If every thing is working well I can hold the bridge up at eye level
and see if our notched are imitating the > same kind of beautiful swoop those