removing ebony sharps

Thu, 07 Nov 2002 19:52:32 +0100

David Love wrote:

> What's the method of choice for removing ebony from the
> key.  Whereas I have generally used a chisel for taking
> off plastic sharps, the additional surface area of ebony
> sharps may produce some wood loss, which I would like to
> avoid.  It seems like maybe a band saw for the bulk of it
> followed by a sharp chisel might be the way to go.  Any
> suggestions. David Love

I use Elbezenoid Cortisanate mixed with two freshly plucked
feathers from a Hondurian Phlet puppin and a little goose
oil. Mix gently over a light open air stove, adding the
Cortisanate carefully and only a little bit at a time do to
its explosive nature. Let cool and place in an double open
ended jar, chilly and dry for storage.

To use simply place a teaspoon on a 1X6X12 board with  as
many black keys as you can comfortably space on the board.
Cover with an aquarium or some such type semi air tight box
and wait  6 to 7 weeks. They will fall off by themselves....
along with the bushing felt, and any damper lift felt that
may be present. Be advised, Brass captans tend to turn
purple, but the polish nicely afterwards.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.