SV: removing ebony sharps

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:14:47 +0100

Hi, David

This is the way I do it:

1)       Cut the sharps off with a band saw, but save 1 mm of the ebony.
2)       Heat it on a cooking plate or an iron (not too hot, and no damp).
3)       Remove it with a chisel, just as you would remove ivory.

Easy, fast, clean, and you are ready to put on the new tops…

Kjell Sverre Fardal, NPTF
Kristiansand / Norway
ksfardal@online.no <mailto:ksfardal@online.no>

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]På vegne av
David Love
Sendt: 7. november 2002 16:58
Til: Pianotech
Emne: removing ebony sharps

What's the method of choice for removing ebony from the key.  Whereas I have
generally used a chisel for taking off plastic sharps, the additional
surface area of ebony sharps may produce some wood loss, which I would like
to avoid.  It seems like maybe a band saw for the bulk of it followed by a
sharp chisel might be the way to go.  Any suggestions.

David Love