removing ebony sharps

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:05:40 EST

In a message dated 11/7/02 9:58:50 AM Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> What's the method of choice for removing ebony from the key.  Whereas I have
> generally used a chisel for taking off plastic sharps, the additional
> surface area of ebony sharps may produce some wood loss, which I would like
> to avoid.  It seems like maybe a band saw for the bulk of it followed by a
> sharp chisel might be the way to go.  Any suggestions.
>
> David Love

For ebonies, they are usually glued on. Since there is not pressure on the
joint, it is easy to break that glue joint. I have found the most effective
method is to grab the key with a pair of pliers, and the ebony with another
pair, opposite each other, and just snap it off. This works on a vast
majority of the keys. On those that are not as cooperative, I would suggest
you lay the key flat on a hard surface, and use a 1" chisel at the joint
between the sharp and key.

I would not use a band saw. There is too much chance of cutting the key, and
thus not getting a flat surface on to which to glue the new ebony. If you do
take some wood off using the above method, you can repair the with autobody
filler.

Wim