Drop

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:19:51 EST

> Bradley  writes:

>  >-A larger amount of drop will increase the chances of the hammers checking
>  >properly, which also allows for springs to be set slightly higher.

and Ed Foote replies,

>      If the checking is dependant on the amount of drop,  you have
something
>  terribly askew in your hammertail/backcheck organization.

I agree, but I think what he's talking about is that, with a high balancier
stop screw setting, the rebounding hammer is being resisted more by the
spring as it heads for the check than with a lower setting (where it may not
be resisted at all). This is more noticeable on a light blow. It may actually
make for more reliable checking under less-than-perfect circumstances of
tail/check grip, but at the price of a spongy feel and high letoff friction.

Bob Davis