Drop

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:08:01 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

> Bradley  writes:
> >This is what I have noticed:
> >
> >-A small amount of drop will lessen the "feel" of aftertouch, and a larger
> >amount will increase the "feel" of aftertouch.

agreed,

> >-A larger amount of drop will increase the chances of the hammers checking
> >properly, which also allows for springs to be set slightly higher.

hmmm.

> > -A small amount of drop will slightly increase repetition (i.e., the jack
> >can slip under the knuckle with less return of the key).

Suppose this is right...tho I have always thought of this as << the less the jack
travels after reaching escapement, the less distance it has to return >>

> > Any more advice?
>
>    The "feel" of aftertouch might be increased by increasing the amount of
> work that goes into it, but if you are feeling the hammer dropping after
> let-off, understand that that is not what you feel in playing, (where the
> hammer is rebounding into the back-check).
>     If the checking is dependant on the amount of drop,  you have something
> terribly askew in your hammertail/backcheck organization.

Agreed. And personally, I have to say I have always felt I could get away with a
stronger rep spring with higher drop, and with higher check as far as that goes.
If checking is a problem because of too strong a rep spring... then the whip
spring is way stronger then I would ever set it anyways. I find pianists dont
allow for much push in the key from whip rep springs.... so you dont have a lot
you can get away with to begin with.

>     Setting the springs higher than what it takes to lift the hammers as fast
> as possible without feeling the recoil will gain you virtually nothing in
> repetition speed,(unless there is something else wrong that excessive spring
> is making up for).

Hmm...dont know if I buy this Ed. I find I can get rapid fire repetition if I
push that as far as I can get away with. Perhaps you might be so kind as to give
your complete list of ingredients in your "fastest fire" recipie. :) Maybe I'm
missing something.

>    The amount of drop is the amount of resistance the pianist will have to
> work through to achieve escapement.  The greater it is, the more of the
> keystroke's last bit of control must be done under spring pressure, and this
> has an effect on how controllable let-off is.

Never thought of it this way... now you done and put something for me to ponder
on for the evening.... grin.

> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT

btw... didnt somebody say something to the effect recently that repetition speed
was somehow dependant on how far the hammer blow distance left the shank from the
rest cushion ? Went by so fast I didnt get time to react really, but isnt
"repetition" supposed to happen way before the hammer gets even close to the
cushion ?. Anyone care to comment on that one ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.