Bridge Notching Trouble

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:02:53 +0100

Yes, I was impressed by the quality of the brige notching on the Fazioli
grands and indeed there is at first a little vertical cut and after that it
goes more horizontaly with a rounded angle.
This must give an excelent string termination point
and it surprises me that this is not done more often. (I never saw this
method on other briges than on Fasiolis).
I'm curious to know how they work to get those nice brige notching.

Pierre Gevaert
Belgium.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 1:26 PM
Subject: Bridge Notching Trouble

> I'll have some bridge notching coming up in a while. I have always had
some trouble in the past keeping the notched top edge sharp. By this I mean
I line the chisel up in the middle of the bridge pin holes, start my
downward stroke (I try to do a bit of a curve so that the top edge is a
large angle - not vertical, but more vertical than horizontal), but then
after going downward the first tiny bit (maybe one millimeter or so), I need
to angle the chisel more toward the horizontal. At that point I find my
chisel riding on the top bridge-pin-line edge that I just cut so nice and
cleanly. The riding motion tends to round off the nice top edge that you
want to be ever-so sharp. How not to do that? I can see that cutting a
straight angle would fix that problem, but I've always thought that the
steeper you can make the top edge, the better the termination (assuming you
don't undermine the bridge pin). I think Fazioli puts a vertical drop on
their bridges. Those pianos sound OK to !