'D' Question

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:31:08 +0100

Hi Avery

I just had a couple Steinways with exactly the same
symptoms. I would suggest you make sure the screws that hold
the cross strut in place are dead on tight before tightening
the bell.

We just went through all about what that is for, and even
printed out the origional patent on it. Just a month or so
ago. Quickly tho... it functions as a device to add mass to
the plate, and hopefully make that area of the plate less
susceptible to vibration, with the effect that sustain is
somewhat preserved (for not to say increased). The patent
makes other claims, but Dels explanation seemed quite
convincing.

I think one wants to be kind of carefull tightening such
bolts, as it is not unthinkable to put too much pressure on
the plate. You are also increasing downbearing at the so
called killer octave.

Cheers

RicB

--