Bridge Notching Trouble

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:26:17 -0500

I'll have some bridge notching coming up in a while. I have always had some trouble in the past keeping the notched top edge sharp. By this I mean I line the chisel up in the middle of the bridge pin holes, start my downward stroke (I try to do a bit of a curve so that the top edge is a large angle - not vertical, but more vertical than horizontal), but then after going downward the first tiny bit (maybe one millimeter or so), I need to angle the chisel more toward the horizontal. At that point I find my chisel riding on the top bridge-pin-line edge that I just cut so nice and cleanly. The riding motion tends to round off the nice top edge that you want to be ever-so sharp. How not to do that? I can see that cutting a straight angle would fix that problem, but I've always thought that the steeper you can make the top edge, the better the termination (assuming you don't undermine the bridge pin). I think Fazioli puts a vertical drop on their bridges. Those pianos sound OK to me.

Terry Farrell