action ratios

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:28:14 -0500

Dale Erwin Wrote:

>micro-balanced action I'm finding it a whole lot more effective and
efficient, all be it more expensive, to design the action and key ratios
together by having a new key set made. Roseland makes affordable key sets
and sooo many or the old actions frankly have been recovered, resoled ,
rebushed, and yes even repainted to the point of necessary replacement that
it only makes sense to go in this direction. Oh also I left out; just awful
original geometry that moving the capstan, etc., will not fix.

Dale,

"Regarding awful original geometry".  Care to be a little more specific?  A
new keyboard won't fix a problem with stack geometry.  If you mean a ratio
problem can be fixed with a new balance rail position, I don't find that it
makes a difference in the overall regulation or ratio by moving the
capstan/heel line vs. moving the balance rail so long as the rule for the
line of centers is observed.   I've moved capstan/heel line as much as 1/2"
to make a 5.5 ratio and that action regulates 10mm/44.5mm.  It certainly is
nice to have a brand new keyboard for sure... just make sure your putting
those key leads in the right place for posterity!

David Stanwood