action ratios

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 18:44:37 EST

In a message dated 11/3/2002 2:17:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

   Richard wrote
> Well, I am the first to applaud well thought out personal preference. But I
> am a
> bit wary of definitions as to what  "hammers whose weights fall outside of
> the
> boundaries that allow for a good match of weight to leverage" means. Seems
> very
> important in anycase to be able to provide clear, and concrete rationale
> that
> holds up to scrutiny if one is truly going to cross the border from "what I
> personally like" to "what is correct or doable"

   Ric
   I don't think it would be that difficult to compare some hammer weight nos
that fall in to some sort of consensus. I stated earlier the idea of using a
bit heavier hammer in vintage Stwys with a slight increase in knuckle
placement (ie 16.5 mm)
 I realize that as David L pointed out that it's the effect of overall ratios
but have found on many occasions   this configuration works fairly well so
consider this a random sample from one random tech.

   Hammer weights for smaller New York Stwys model o-l-m
   note  4------9ishgrams
          16-----8.5ish
           28----8ish
           40-----7.5ish
           52----7.2 ish
           64-----6ish
           76----5.5ish
           88----4.5 ish

       Add 1.4 grams to translate to strike weight for Abel shanks and 1.6
for Renners