Better Bass Scale for M&H A

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:51:43 -0500

> > 3.  With out doing a more complete analysis, my gut feel tells me there is
> > very little pivoting at the traditional hitch pins.
>
> There is none. The string lays across a flat in front of the hitch. This
> felt-covered flat varies from as little as perhaps 10 mm (if you're lucky)
> to as much as 25 or 30 mm. It's out there that the string has to try to
> bend.

I think this is the key here. I understand clearly how moving the bridge is going to free up movement, but I was picturing the traditional loop on a traditional hitch pin pivoting easily at the point where it is wedged into the hitch pin & plate. This wedging certainly will restrict a pivoting motion, and you are right that there is often some felt or shelf or whatever in front of the hitch pin further restricting any pivoting motion at the hitch pin.

I noticed on your M&H A photos that the mono cords had vertical hitch pins, but the bicords retained the original hitch pins. Any specific reason for that? I suppose the laws of diminishing returns & benefit-cost analysis apply as the backscale length increases in the bicord area?

Terry Farrell