Tuning change with a move - was: Everett Pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 07:15:19 -0500

Robin,

I think we're comparing apples with oranges in two ways.

First, I agree that moving a *grand* piano is not likely to change the
tuning, since it sits on three casters.  Even a very uneven floor is
unlikely to affect the tuning for that reason.  But a vertical piano is
different in that it has *four* casters.  I have found pianos where one
caster is not even touching the floor, so the weight is on only three
casters.  What will happen to the tuning if there is no weight on the front
*left* caster, but after a move there is now no weight on the front *right*
caster?  I know from experience that can make a dramatic tuning change,
especially on smaller pianos.

You can do an experiment a couple times to verify this.  Tune the octaves
beatless over the bass-tenor break.  Then play those octaves while exerting
upward pressure under the keybed at the left leg.  Try it again with upward
pressure at the right leg.  (Or, lift the piano enough to slide a 1/8" shim
under one caster.  Same thing.)  On some pianos there will be a very
obvious beat in the octave.  Does the piano need repair?  I don't think so.

Second has to do with the distance of the move.  Again we're talking about
verticals only.  It depends on how uneven the floor is.  If the weight
distribution on the four casters is different after a move when compared
with before, then even a small move can noticeably change the tuning.
Which explains why I will not move a piano after tuning it if I can avoid
doing so.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA