Another Virus Question

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:21:00 -0600

I get the same message every time and immediately after I send a message.
The iland people say it must be a virus or some such and they can't help.
I've run AVG twice, with the latest upgrades, and it found no virus. Yes, I
use OE. What is a "real email program?"

Alan Barnard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barrie Heaton" <piano@a440.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: Another Virus Question

In message <006e01c28270$7e4a1ed0$dbec3344@cc429961a>, Phil Bondi
<tito@philbondi.com> writes
>I am continuing to receive a "catchall" e-mail from
>
>catchall@iland.com
>
>everytime I send something to this list.
>
>This is what the e-mail says:
>
>If you receive this message it is because you are sending email
>to an account that does not exist at iland.com. If you feel like
> you've received this message in error, please send email to
info@iland.com.

Possible explanation is some one on the list who has emailed you
privately has a virus -  the type that fakes headers and takes one of
the email address out of the address books you are the unlucky one -
what you need is a full email off some one who has received one of these
emails  that look like they came  from you. From the header you can see
who it really is. He/she logs on to get mail form piano tech and send
out a fresh batch of viruses.

All have one thing in common outlook express most email viruses use the
IFRAME exploit  to launch.  if everyone  dumped OE and used a true email
program that stuck to the rules 90% of viruses would disappear
overnight.

Barrie,

Barrie,
--