action ratios

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 02 Nov 2002 14:26:45 -0500

Dear Richard,

"Cleared up once and for all" would be great!  The obvious thing to do is
to take parallel measurements.  Every time you measure SWratio measure the
Distance ratio.  This requires a standardized measuring system for distance
ratios that gives repeatable results.  The results would be interesting to
be sure and it would take a lot of measuring and correlation of the data....

In a way we are checking the distance ratio by checking aftertouch with a
given dip compared to a given blow distance.  It would be nice to have an
accurate bench tool to check distance ratio as a rebuilding procedure.

David Stanwood

At 06:46 PM 11/2/02 +0100, you wrote:
>This has been up several times and is the source of a lot of head
scratching me
>thinks
>
>The point is that given a simple lever such as a key, the key ratio is
exactly
>the same for weight, distance, speed or whatever else comes into the
picture. It
>you have a 0.5 key ratio, the 10 mm key movement at the front will be 5 mm
>capstan movement. 10 grams downwards pressure at the front will balance 5
grams
>at the capstan,  speed at the capstan will be half  the speed of the front of
>the key.
>
>Now its difficult  to imagine that coupling several levers should make any
real
>difference to this picture. FW and DW together are exactly that which
balances
>the rest of the action. Removing Friction from the picture then its FW and
BW. I