Drop

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:30:04 +0100

Dear Suzan,

While being able to really play with a nice tone (not a lot of
technique needed) could be the best way to understand quickly what the
piano is giving, what is a must if you really have some basis of
classical pianists techniques, is that you understand the way they
play while hearing /seeing them. Then if something bother's them you
can more easily understand what it is.

But frankly, if you know how to play notes for unison tuning,  you
know how to play some little pieces and make some light use of the
sustain pedal to help you if you are not in shape, my guess is that it
is really enough for the technician to check a piano and its
regulation.

I understood that the moves we are to work to obtain a precise
regulation, when mastered, are really enough to understand if the
piano will play as expected. That is really simpler that it seem, but
the good method and protocol is needed, and after that we know what we
are looking for, and the instrument gives a lot of feed back itself,
like for tuning.

It is amazing to see for example Andre saying that the good dip is
10mm, I begin to work on this precise 10 mm feeling (under 250g
pressure) and discovered it was something very different from what I
was suspecting. There is something that is that 10mm feeling, with
standard letoff and aftertouch, and I am persuaded that when these
parameters are really obtained it serves as a basis which is in fact a
treasure to us. I am having a good time (!) trying to regulate a Kaway
RX2 that is heavy (with a 46-48 g BW) . I tried many possibilities
(the piano is in the shop) and , when I obtained these "normal
parameters" ( 1.5 letoff, 10mm dip, 2m drop env.), the instrument
became so much more playable that the heaviness defects where not
noticed as before. Because the good regulation open the possibilities
for optimum tone, the feedback for the pianist is such that he will be
happy to use the piano.

But of course the feedback of the pianists (when possible) is very
important, they can tell you how they like the piano to be setup,
their words differ often from what we understand, but they can show us
if asked sometime. Many times they don't know how to explain, and they
accommodate of all kind of instruments, but they always appreciate
your feedback because you are the audience, and they know they don't
hear the same in front of the piano.

Have a look at
http://www.engineeringandmusic.de/individu/galealex/gaalproc.html

I like these tests that where made to understand how the pianist feel
the instrument.

Dear Cellist , Best Regards.

Friendly (is there a word to say "collegually" ?)