action ratios

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:48:32 +0100

Hello Bill Ballard,

In fact the assist spring may not be used with too heavy hammers then,
as friction will be extreme at letoff moment anyway (that was probably
the reason why these Schimmel where unplayable)

Very interesting your proposal about the angled capstan.
I guess this was not on purpose, only because the magic line is 90? to
the intersection of the capstan/whippen heel . SO the ratio is
changing all along the move of these angled whippen .I've seen them in
the Pfeiffer book, and they where said to be less efficient than
'normal ones is not it ?.

About hammers filing, how I understand it actually, even when we file
the hammer, we don't really want to reduce the height, if we where to
file to that point, the hammers are to be changed anyway. The height
is reduced by the wear of the hammers it is enough as that , if I file
a hammer the string marks may stay apparent, and the top unfilled.

And taking too much felt is bad (too much weight off). After filing we
can restore some height by deep needling and having the hammer to grow
a little again, that is why lacquered ones are finished once
lacquered.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG