action ratios

Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:01:10 -0800

I hesitate to make voicing suggestions from afar, but I have had similar
problems with Abel hammers.  If the piano jumps from pp to mf with little in
between and the piano sounds open and is not breaking up at ff levels then
that suggests to me that the outer layers of felt in the 10-11:30 and
12:30 - 2:00 range need some needling to about 4-5 mm tapering down as you
approach the crown.  Abel hammers sometimes benefit from a couple of deeper
stitches parallel to the molding in the 11:30 and 12:30 area also.  But I
make these suggestions with some reluctance because I don't know if I would
interpret what I would be hearing the same as you.  I can say that in my
experience, you have to work a little harder to get those hammers to open up
at various levels.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 01, 2002 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: action ratios

Hi David.

I use Abel hammers (no underfelt, referred to as Bechstein model, quite
hard).
I do much low shoulders deep needling to open up the tone and avoid
distorsions at forte level.  Then I even out volumes at different dynamics,
and end up with very light blow colour evening (with sugar coating).
I always get the sound good (enough for me), but I always end up with
something musically difficult to control.  I ended up thinking this is a
specific Bechstein desing problem, as the Steinways I restored never rose
this problem.  I am probably wrong, am I not ?
I try to achieve 10 mm key dip, and 47 mm blow distance.
Following my experience, needling more than what I do would result in loss
of power at forte playing, and reduction of colour shades (which again seem
to be more easily achieved in Steinway pianos).
Any further idea ?

Thanks for spending time.

Stéphane Collin.