action ratios

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:58:21 +0100

Hi Richard, David, Bill, etc.

I've been following the thread with much interest.
May I ask an innocent but pragmatic question (I think related to this topic) ?
More than often, I encounter this problem when rebuilding Bechstein pianos : I get the sound right, I get the touch feel ok, but the whole instrument always happens to be difficult to control, as the dynamic output switches too quickly from PP to mF (I mean :  the dynamic shades are not progressive enough.  Very soft playing is fantastic, very loud also, but progressively crossing from soft to loud happens to be difficult to control, as sound gets loud too quickly, which is musically not desirable at all).
How would you all cure this problem ?

Thanks to all for great expertise.

Stéphane Collin.