High ratios/high SW's and assist springs: was Re: Fw: PatentNotice

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:59:13 +0100

Bill Ballard wrote:

> At 10:24 AM +0100 11/1/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
> >This is a very important point Bill. Tho this distinction does not
> >detract from
> >the fact that how any given hammer is delivered directly affects its
> >interaction
> >with the string.
>
> I'd always assumed that the only thing which the hammer brings to the
> string (besides the elastic reflexes of its felt) is its momentum
> (m*v), and that the string could care less how that final momentum
> was developed.

My point is that we are talking about pianists here, not some formula. It is the
pianist who in the end delivers that hammer upwards at whatever momentum it ends up
with. And a pianist will react to that peculiar combination of how the instrument
feels and sounds... or perhaps better said, how the piano reacts to his/her
playing.

And besides... there something not quite right about the idea that any given
product of (m*v) regardless of the porportions of m and v result in the same net
effect on strings in the collision between the two.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.