reamming Agraffes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:55:33 EST

Jon writes:
>I'm cleaning a set from an old M&H.
>
>The brass is so soft that even the slightest pressure has the tool digging
>
>deeply into the metal.
>Is burrs can easily be carved off with an Exact knife, it's so soft.

Greetings,
   I make a burnisher out of an old bass string core.  Using a piece of the
heaviest core, about three inches long, roll a 1" section between two files
and then hammer a swedge on this rough spot until it is just a little too
wide to fit through the agraffe.  Cut so that you only have about 1/8" of
round, unroughed wire in front of it.  Chuck it up in a cordless drill and
burnish the inside holes of the agraffes.  It smoothes without cutting.  If
there are really deep wire cuts in the tops of the holes, go slowly, lest it
grap the burnisher.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT