reamming Agraffes

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 07:59:13 -0600

>I'm cleaning a set from an old M&H.
>
>The brass is so soft that even the slightest pressure has the tool digging
>deeply into the metal.
>Is burrs can easily be carved off with an Exact knife, it's so soft.
>
>I'd like to just replace them but the threads mic' at .280" (9/32).
>
>Stuck between a rock and a soft place...
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician

They're 34 tpi too, to add to the fun. Near as I can tell, your choices are:

1: Pretend the originals are fine.
2: Contact Schaff and see if they can find the 9/32x34tpi agraffes that
APSCO started making about three years ago as I reported on the List.
3: Tap the plate to 5/16NF, thread brass 5/16 tubing (purchased or made
from brass rod), cut to length, Loc-Tite appropriate lengths into the
plate, thread to 1/4x36, and install new agraffes.
4: A steel or iron oxide filled epoxy (or something else more appropriate
that I haven't learned about) to take up the space between the 9/32x34
hole, and the 1/4x36 agraffe stud.

I'd start with door #2.

Ron N