Everett Pianos

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:25:49 -0500

At 11:23 PM -0800 10/31/02, Susan Kline wrote:
>At 07:02 PM 10/31/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>I regulary replace these with the correct bolt on a second visit so that one
>>can use any wrench to remove the lid.
>
>Yes, but the Allen bolt sure keeps the school kids out of the pianos!

Button-head cap screws. Twenty years ago, I was so enthusiastic about
Everett's "security system" that I tried retro-fitting that design on
two Baldwin 243 and a Wurlitzer console in the practise rooms of one
high school. (It really only works if the lid has no molding around
its edge which would prevent it from sliding directly horizontally
off the top, as the Everett tops do.)

I also thought that the Allen sockets were not enough of a challenge
to vandals who had spent anytime in the HS's automotive shop, so I
turned up some #14 x 1.5" Tamper-Proof Torx FH wood screws (TT27
bit). (The Security Torx socket has a 6-point star (points rounded
off) with a pin in the middle. You'll see them on old pay phones.)
This is what I ended up tieing down the lids and bottom boards of the
consoles with. Of course there was the constant nagging worry that
the vandals who knew what an Allen socket was but didn't recognize
the Tamper-Proof Torx would simply pour Elmers glue into the socket.
That never happened, although I did fill the sockets with Vaseline to
foil this.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Blessed are the cynical,