Drop

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:59:07 +0100

Hello Suzan , you write the most important thing there :

 the pianist said with great relief that it was now so much less
tiring to play, BECAUSE IT WAS CONTROLLABLE, even with the friction
higher and
> the weight almost the same. I thought it would be more tiring,
> because I had increased the friction.

And another fact is that having the last high drop lend to a sound
where all the defects (capo noises, irregularities) , are pushed in
front, because the tone , while being less controllable is at the same
moment too open (light pinning too).

Just my thoughts, for sure many techs don't really understand the way
pianists play, that is not helping them. Even then , some tend to
exacerbate the letoff, as to help the pianist to have more resistance,
but always the tone suffer form these extremities.

I've find with time that the window for correct regulation is in fact
very little on any action, particularly when sticking with a standard
dip. Once I've find this correct moment then I can depart from it
slightly, but having this basics seems the first necessity.

The one contact moment button/jack + drop screw is the way. If the
rollers are worn then they have to be changed or filed.

I've seen pianists not noticing a 8 mm letoff on a grand, because the
regulation was all moments together (old Steinway D with new parts
17mm without correction of the spread ).

Beside, every friction moment lost without energy production, as with
low drop or high drop, is noticed in the tone (and produce a hole in
the touch), I finally admit that there is no other way that having all
friction moments at the same time to obtain a basic good tone/touch,
that is a prerequisite for voicing and further refinements (and a
"very special moment in the touch" ).

As Antares noticed lately, two fingers /hands are not too much to
check this moment.

Best Regards

Iz O. Z