High ratios/high SW's and assist springs: was Re: Fw: PatentNotice

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:15:21 +0100

Of course none of this has anything to do with Stanwood, nor per se the use of
high or low ratios or any of the rest. In Bergen the first thing we did to
ascertain what was doable in capstan moves was to make sure the line of centers
was correct. In fact he (David) stressed this point several times. Touchweight
modifications too the action are not to be made at the expense of proper action
geometry.

The fact that the optimum action geometry varies from instrument to instrument
and is directly related to the distance between string height and keybed
neccessitates a variance in real life action "specifications", and again a good
reading of Bob Hohfs simple treatise on the subject matter is recommended.

In fact, this was brought up in Bergen and it was mentioned that Bobs thinking
and Davids thinking actually go hand in hand when it comes right down to it.

Cheers

RicB