Drop

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:04:14 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

> >At this point I am just setting the drop so that repetition arm touches
> >the drop screw at the same time that the jack tender touches the letoff
> >button.
>
> This is an elegant result of everything being right, but what if your jacks
> have to be a little more  distal because of some other factors, (such as
> knuckle condition or chamfer?).  After the keydip, hammer blow, and let-off
> are set, you can set your drop screws to allow the hammer to rest at let-off
> distance. I believe this allows the most controllable escapement possible.
> Ed Foote RPT

I concur entirely Ed, tho I have heard the opposite said. In essence doing this
means the jack tender engages the jack before the letoff button touches the
whippen, and that seems to be a point of contention for some.. But it makes more
sense to me in anycase to do exactly this, at least to a very small degree even
if the piano is "perfect". Doing this smooths out that aftertouch bump without
making it spongy.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.