OT: Guitar tuning stability (was Re: PRs climbing sharper (OT)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 00:18:37 -0700

>The only way to keep the G-E sixth small enough for this is to make sure
>that the open fourths are all stretched wide, which allows the upper E to be
>low enough.

This is so cool.  I've stretched the fourths when tuning guitars for
years; it's the only way to get all positions to sound even relatively in
tune.  My method:

1.  Set the A string to the fork (or whatever.)

2. set the low E string slightly flat---a slow, slow roll; I also check
this by using octave harmonics on the
     12the fret (E string) and 7th fret(A string). The octave should be
slightly stretched.

3.  tune the D string in the same way.  Check with octave harmonics.

4.  tune the G string in the same way.  Check with octave harmonics.

5.  tune the B string to the G string as a major 3rd, beating about 8 bps.

6. tune the high E string slightly sharp as a 4th to the B string.

The guitar players I know love this.  I know Ry Cooder (one of my
ultimate heroes in this world)
uses some similar stretching method.

Be well.......David Andersen