silicone/naptha solution

Charles Heiser charlesheiser@msn.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 22:04:09 -0700

 copier stores sell kilograms of silicone for about $20. Pure silicone is=
 used in paper copier machines. =20
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Kurta
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 4:35 AM
To: PTG List
Subject: silicone/naptha solution
 =20
Hi Folks:
    According to the Baldwin Service Manual, "Tight action centers can be=
 treated by preparing a solution of 1/2 pint of silicone with 1/2 gallon =
of VM&P naptha.  (1:8)  Shake or mix thoroughly.  Apply to all action cen=
ters liberally.  Results will be immediate."  Speaking from personal expe=
rience and using gallons of the stuff over the years, I have found it ver=
y effective,  as long lasting as CLP, and MUCH less expensive.  My only q=
uestion is where do you find silicone?  In checking with Dow Chemical, it=
 is sold in case lots of gallons.  I found pure liquid silicone in a larg=
e food market in Brazil where it is used as a clothing waterproofing, but=
 have not seen it elsewhere.  In desperation, I've exhausted all the pres=
sure from a can of silicone spray, punched a pinhole in the domed top of =
the can to be sure, cut the top off with a can opener, and drained the si=
licone from the can by inverting it.  Seems to work fine, but messy and t=
ime consuming.  Anyone have a source?  =20
    Also does anyone have a source for the mold release known as McLube. =
 Seems that a number of items made for other industries are applicable to=
 piano work.....   Mike Kurta, RPT