Short capstans resolved

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:32:43 +0200

On 30.05.2002 at 08:37 Tvak@AOL.COM wrote:

>Thanks to all who jumped in with suggestions on solving the lost motion
>problem on my Cable piano........

>I am convinced that the damage to the leg altered the height of the keybed
>creating the problem.  The piano came to me with the leg loose and with a
>hammer blow distance of 3 inches.  Somebody had to remove the felt blocks
>under the hammer rail to create that outrageous hammer blow distance.  I
>think this was the previous tech's solution to a sagging keybed: increase
>the
>hammer blow distance to compensate for the lost motion resultant from the
>keybed being lower.  Even after the leg was repaired, the resultant height
>of
>the keybed must be lower than it was originally out of the factory,
>because
>when I set the proper hammer blow distance, this odyssey began.

Sounds to me Tom that with a few good points in probable directions you did a
pretty fair piece of troubleshooting and problem solving. Congrats and well
done !

>What a wonderful resource this list is;
>and
>of course, the list being nothing more than a conduit to all of you, what
>wonderful caring bunch of knowledgeable people you are.  (...couldn't find
>better way to say that, but I hope the message gets through...)
>
>Thanks
>Tom Sivak

I aggree, the list is a great resource indeed and your message echoes that of
many of us who have relied on it for good advice, learning new things, and not
the least for establishing friendships with some really great folks. Yourself
amoung them !

Cheers

RicB

Richard Brekne