silicone/naptha solution

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 07:12:58 -0400

Hi Folks:
    According to the Baldwin Service Manual, "Tight action centers can =
be treated by preparing a solution of 1/2 pint of silicone with 1/2 =
gallon of VM&P naptha.  (1:8)  Shake or mix thoroughly.  Apply to all =
action centers liberally.  Results will be immediate."  Speaking from =
personal experience and using gallons of the stuff over the years, I =
have found it very effective,  as long lasting as CLP, and MUCH less =
expensive.  My only question is where do you find silicone?  In checking =
with Dow Chemical, it is sold in case lots of gallons.  I found pure =
liquid silicone in a large food market in Brazil where it is used as a =
clothing waterproofing, but have not seen it elsewhere.  In desperation, =
I've exhausted all the pressure from a can of silicone spray, punched a =
pinhole in the domed top of the can to be sure, cut the top off with a =
can opener, and drained the silicone from the can by inverting it.  =
Seems to work fine, but messy and time consuming.  Anyone have a source? =
=20
    Also does anyone have a source for the mold release known as McLube. =
 Seems that a number of items made for other industries are applicable =
to piano work.....   Mike Kurta, RPT