Oblique hammers

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Wed, 29 May 2002 19:37:34 +0200

On 29.05.2002 at 09:54 Joe And Penny Goss wrote:

>Hi Stephane,
>This would result in a tone that for me  would have many false issues to
>deal with as the strings would be sounding out of phase.
>One question arrises in my mind, does the piano have string braiding on the
>waste ends?
>Joe Goss

Hi there Joe and Stephane....

I just wanted to chip in here and say that ....ok the idea may be useable or it may not be... but I have to question how long any positive benifit to such oblique shaping could have. It would seem to me that in order to get oblique shaping to result in some pleasing sound it would have to be ridiculously carefully done, and extremely consistant. And we all know how long such adjustments usually last before wear and tear turns them into direct undesireables.

Just a thought on the side of the plate. :)

RicB

>> Hi List.
>>
>> I recently serviced a small Pleyel 5'2" piano from the '30.  It had the
>most charming sound I ever heard (a real miracle).  Up 'till the last
>trebble notes were singing with unusual beautiful tone, long lasting and
>very dynamic.
>> It featured something I have never seen before : from the tenor to the
>trebble, all hammers were filed a little oblique, so on a light blow they
>hit only one string, but not too much, so on a hard one, they hit all three
>strings.  The result was incredible.  I suppose on a hard blow, the hammers
>stay less in contact with the third string of the unisson, letting more
>overtones develop, while the longer lasting contact with the first string
>of
>the unison gives full power and sustain to the fundamental of the note, the
>blend of both making this unusual beautiful expressive sound.
>>
>> Has anybody seen this before?
>>
>> I couldn't wait and try this on one of my pianos, and with happy result :
>unbelievable pure and sweet pianos, yet very colourful and powerful fortes.
>It doesn't work on the low tenors, neither on the high trebble, but
>elsewhere, waw !
>> I'm just afraid for premature wear of the hammers and maybe some trouble
>at the flange center pin, carrying so an unusual torque.  Also, I believe
>if
>someone notice this on one of my pianos, he will believe I am an outrageous
>piano destructor.
>>
>> Any comment welcome.
>>
>> Stéphane Collin
>> (Brussels, Belgium)