trichords unisons

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:30:58 EDT

precisionpiano@alltel.net writes:

> What is the accepted standard, if there is one. How do you define the
> perfect and/or the acceptable unison.
>     FWIW, I have absolutely no trouble with the bass or the high treble,
> it's that dang tenor section. It seems like the better I get, the more I can
> hear, the worse I actually tune.
>     Comments anyone?
>
> Benny L. Tucker

Benny

You are trying to get more out of the piano than is "normal." If you can get
your unison to sound in tune for 2 or 3 seconds, call it quits. There are too
many variables in the piano for the three strings to stay perfect for any
longer than that, especially in the tenor part. By the 3rd or 4th second,
you're not hearing the actual strings any more. The overtones have taken
over, and that is what you are hearing.

As a way to get there a little faster, and perhaps you're doing this already,
is to tune only two strings at a time. Mute the left string, and match the
right string to the middle. Then mute the right string and tune the left to
the middle. When A = B and C = B, then A = B = C.

Wim