Tuning Gone Bad: The Outcome

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:07:51 -0400

>, how do you keep the salty air from
> contaminating the metal piano parts . Is this a problem in your area and if
> so,  how do you approach that problem.

I don't run into much of any problem related to salt. I have seen maybe a couple pianos in homes right on the water where it was indeed evident of advanced corrosion, but like I say, I can only think of two I have seen. I know people who live by the water that own cars and park them outside often have some problems with rust, but it seems not too much in the home. And I do service several dozen pianos that are in homes right on the water and no problem with them.

Humidity is a bigger factor. I tuned a 10 year old Young Chang 157cm grand this morning. It's 90 degrees outside and probably 90% relative humidity. The lady had every window open in the home. Nice breeze, a little hot, BUT THE PIANO - all the plain wires were totally rusted - got a nice tick tuning each string as I broke it free of being corroded to the agraffe. Half the bass strings were dead and tubby. Soundboard had a nice dead area in the killer octave region. What a way to ruin a piano in only ten years. Too bad.

I talked with her a bit about humidity control - but then I wondered - does she really want to spend $300 or so bucks on a dehumidification system on a piano that is all ready shot? Oh well, whatever.

Terry Farrell