Repost: Help! My capstans are too short!

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 May 2002 22:11:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/28/02 8:10:46 PM, Bigeartb@AOL.COM writes:

<< I also wonder if it
is possible for the wippen spoons may be fouling up the regulation after the
installation of new damper flanges and dampers. >>

If this were the case, it wouldn't affect the top octave, which is
damperless.  The lost motion is the same across the keyboard.

I did check today to see if the action was mounted firmly on the mounts and
sadly it was.  The hammer line appeared to be exactly where it belonged, so
I'm fairly certain the action is in the proper position.  At this point, I
think the keybed must have changed levels due to the repair of the leg.  Even
if it's only 1/4" lower than it used to be that would do it.

I'm considering adding a piece of wood to the top of the key and mounting the
existing capstans on top of that.  That would extend the back end of the key
vertically to eliminate the lost motion, but I wonder what would else it do
to the feel of the piano?

Tom Sivak