oversize pins in a doped block

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 21:58:33 -0500

List,

30 year old Story & Clark baby grand (model 152) by Yamaha.  The entire block was glycerin doped, additionally the bass pins were driven in until the strings started breaking from binding on the plate.  That's when the owner started looking for another tuner, and I was the lucky winner.  I will be restringing the bass using oversize pins, probably Paul Larudee's stepped pins.

I have some experience reaming and selecting the appropriate size pin, but never in a doped block.  The original .272 pins were holding pretty well, but very jumpy (and noisy when I powered them out).  I'm wondering if the small amount of material normally removed in reaming will result in normal tuning pin feel?  I would appreciate some suggestions on how much to ream, and how much oversize to go with the pins, given the doped block.

Also, this is my first restringing involving tuning pin bushings.  Schaff sells bushings with 7/32" bore, Pianotek's have 1/4" bore.  Do either of these need to be drilled before I drive the pin through?  I can see where 1/4 would probably be OK, but 7/32 would be pretty tight especially on an oversized pin.

thanks,

Mike Spalding, RPT