Regulation problem

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Mon, 27 May 2002 22:36:05 -0400

Hi Jos=C3=A9,

If the pinning was not good on the hammer flange, I suspect it could be =
bad on the whippen center as well. I would lubricate this one too. As =
for the lack of aftertouch, I would just raise the hammer line until you =
get it OK. The problem could be many problems:  knuckles (rollers) flat, =
hammers too worn or badly bored to begin, or plain bad geometry. Maybe =
the piano was always bad ??? Or maybe the center pins have verdigris in =
which case you might have major part replacement to do to get something =
working for a long time.

Just my 2 cents.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On =
Behalf Of Jos=C3=A9 Fernando
  Sent: 27 mai, 2002 14:35
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Regulation problem

   =20
  Hi list

  =20

  Today I was working in a GUSTAV LEHMANN Grand piano (INEG 0352 - G84)! =
The problem is that this was the first Gustav I work! The aftertouch of =
this piano is very irregular and they=E2=80=99re some parts of the =
keyboard that doesn't have any aftertouch... The first problem I found =
was that the key bed was suspended only in 2 B. screws (the middle =
screws were floating)... I solve this problem and I checked the key =
leveling and it was ok (64 mm), white key depth was too depth (=E2=89=88 =
11mm, I use 10 mm), Hammer leveling were irregular but it was about 46 =
mm and there wasn=E2=80=99t let off and I corrected it (=E2=89=88 2,5 =
mm)... even after this there wasn=E2=80=99t aftertouch... and the bass =
section was very heavy... the sound was irregular but I=E2=80=99ve seen =
worst... I had to put some lubricant in hammer flange center pin because =
the hammer movement was a little bit slow and heavy but I think this =
hammer flange center pin is not good=E2=80=A6

  Do some of you have any suggestion?

  =20

  Thank you

  =20